Personal Safety Tips For Women:
- If you see or sense problems on your way,just change your route and – prepare to run or defend yourself
- Do not hitchhike, use buses or taxis instead
- Do not act or look like an easy target – look confident!
- Most "fights" are won before they start, and aggressors will back down if you maintain eye contact and are not intimidated by them.
- Carry self-defence items like pepper spray etc. and make sure to practise its use.
- If you are walking to look for help, always walk against the traffic so that you can see what is coming.
- Don't use "headphones" when walking in isolated areas at any time.
- Be alert at all times.
- Don't presume that because your area has been "safe" thus far, that it will continue to be so.
Safety Tips For Children:
- Keep the child informed about the dangers outside. Denial of such problems will result in children misjudging the security.
- Always keep a check on the child, while he is playing outside.
- Train him/her to raise alarm, when somebody takes them or they are in trouble. The best advice is to give a whistle and ask the child to blow it whenver neccessary.
- Always keep a watch on the presence of strangers in your locality.
- Always encourage the child to talk with you, so that he/she might tell their difficulties.
- Look out for sudden behavioral changes and counsel them whenever needed.
- Be informed about the symptoms of child sexual abuse.